In this video we will demonstrate the importance and the technique to tamping correctly to ensure an even extraction and balanced espresso.
What you’ll need
- Dose your freshly ground coffee into your portafilter Tip- Using scales will ensure a consistent dose every time
- Distribute your coffee evenly throughout your filter basket using your chosen method
- Pick up your tamper, standing side on to the bench. Hold the tamper with a straight wrist and elbow at a right angle
- Ensuring your tamper is straight, lean your body weight on the tamper to apply an even amount of pressure. Tip - keep it simple! Twisting or tapping with your tamper can cause small cracks and cause channeling.
- Wipe and loose grinds from the edge of your portafilter.
To explore more coffee content click below