In this video we demonstrate how to steam milk to achieve the perfectly textured milk for pouring your favourite coffees at home.
What you will need
- Espresso machine
- Fresh cold milk of your choice
- Freshly prepared espresso shots
600ml or 400ml milk jug
- Fill your jug up to the halfway mark. This will leave enough room to create foam and a silky texture
- Purge your steam wand to release any residual water
- Position the steam wand at the 3 o’clock which will encourage a spinning motion
- Focus on the height of the milk jug. The steam wand should sit right on the surface of the milk. Listen out for a ‘hissing sound’
- The right milk temperature can bring out the natural sweetness, with an ideal temperature range of 60 to 65 degrees. This is usually when the jug is too hot to hold.
- After texturing your milk, you will want to use it straight away. Split some of your milk into a smaller milk jug to help with foam ratios and be sure to spin the milk before pouring.